Saturday, June 12, 2010

Special story about our Office in Charge Manny Francisco


Manny Francisco is one of the Officers in Charge for Security here at the Cebu Temple Complex. He was posted at the door of the Cebu Temple as President Monson came in for his personal tour. We followed behind in the tour as was our position there. President Monson stopped to shake the hand of Brother Francisco and made note of his very shiny patent leather shoes he had on. Our OIC's wear white shirts and ties and dark slacks and shoes to their liking. President Monson slipped something in Manny's pocket but Manny didn't take much notice of it as he was so overwhelmed to be able to speak to the Prophet and shake his hand. Being tearful later, he reached into his pocket for a handkerchief to wipe the perspiration off and a few tears. He found a piece of paper in his pocket and didn't recognize it until he pulled it out and found it was a one dollar bill. I captured his big smile about this today in a picture shown here.

I have become fond of many of our officers on the Security Staff and call them "My sons". I told Manny, "You are my son". He is about the same age as my son Bradley. Tonight he was standing next to me as we took pictures with our cell phones of Elder Oaks and Bishop Burton and respective wives and said to me...."I am standing next to my mom". I turned to him pleased that he said this but then he volunteered the information that his mom isn't here as she passed away when he was 4 months old. No siblings and his natural father died also. I was very touched by this. Good man and priesthood holder...proud to call him son.
This is a post script....forgot about this. Manny told me that when the ground was broken for the Cebu Temple, he was with Elder Dixon. Elder Dixon was our predessor two couple missionaries back. Manny heard that there might be church employment in Cebu and felt impressed to put a down payment on a house here. When he was offered a job as OIC in Cebu he already had an idea where to live....the place where he had put a down payment on several years ago.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a touching story...thank for all of the pics and reports.

    ReplyDelete