Sunday, September 19, 2010

Weekend of Sept 18th and 19th - Day Trip and District Conference

We decided to do a day trip just the two of us to a place called Batangas and to a small community called Anilao. These two Barangay's are known for scuba and snorkeling so we wanted to look over the accommodations for a possible trip at the Holiday time.

We found a couple of very nice properties that would work very nicely and allow us some time to do island hopping to do some snorkeling. Imagine snorkeling at Christmas time. Well we shall see if that will work.

I wanted most to comment on the District Conference we went to today in Morong. We were invited by another couple who are the executive secretaries to the Area President, President Edwards and assigned to another branch in this same districts we are. This missionary couple are The Bunnells'. It is their second mission here in the Philippines. Elder Bunnell drove us all out there in his car. We enjoyed visiting with them and learning of some of the things we could see while we are here.

But the conference is what I wanted to comment on. It was great. We got about enough English or some translation from others to know about the talks given. Also I sang in the choir with the District choir not knowing I would do that but somehow I got pinned with a little red flower that all the choir sisters were wearing and I was up there trying to sound as beautiful as the other choir members....both brothers and sisters. I tried my best. The talks included some new converts, youth speakers, District President, Quezon Mission President and wife, The DeLaMares, Temple 1st counselor President and Sister Revillo and a 70 here in the Philippines, Elder Perez. Topics spoke about: Tithing, living the ordinances of the Gospel, claiming the blessings of the Temple, Temple Worship, Preparing to go to the temple, youth preparing to go to the Temple, doing work for our deceased relatives.....and I think that about covers it. The talks given were very well thought out and given with much grace, sincerity, poise and with a sobre attitude. Very sincere and from the heart bear true testimonies. I often felt that our job here is like a job that should be paid. Very corporate in nature. So why be a missionary? Well, we are missionaries serving in other capacities. The Mission President's wife noted that in her talk today. We all have a place here with our talents and experiences. We have missionaries that assist the Area President, work in Public Affairs, Perpetual Education details, The boundaries for wards and branches, MTC missionaries watching over the Young Elders and their preparations. Medical missionary couple who are a doctor and nurse (which I have had to see myself) , Missionary Recovery Center, Missionary couple who take care of those recovering from illnesses, surgeries or other just taking them to Dr. appointments. and Family History Missionaries helping the Filipinos with the computer looking for their deceased relatives and preparing the records for Temple work. If we were paid church employees known as Ex-Pats we would have missed this experience all together. We would surely miss the spirit that is spreading across this country as a "Marvelous Work and a Wonder." Sometimes our very presence to the Filipino brothers and sisters is inspiring to them. And not to mention that the simplest questions that we can answer mean the world to the members. I am finally getting my head around all of this.

As I am writing this I am seeing fireworks exploding in the distance from our 23rd floor apartment. It is the Christmas Season here. It starts in September. Amazing isn't it? They do celebrate Halloween I am told but haven't experienced it. Its not my favorite holiday...so stay tuned I will write about it.

I hope that those who read this will understand what a Senior Missionary experience can be like and really want to go and serve. We as Americans live in an advanced nation and we can be of service in a third world country.

A little trick one must remember when driving here....you must be calm, collective and courteous and remember that we are guests in another country and must respect the way things are done here. Elder has been recounting this to me in the last couple of days. I am grateful for his new found conviction. I don't know where he got it but I had been praying for it none the less. Thank you Heavenly Father.

1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring Kathy...love reading about your experiences. I hope pics are coming.

    ReplyDelete