Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers Day in the Philippines

It is interesting to me that "Mother's Day" is a day that has ancient history even back to the Greek God culture. Many countries celebrate Mother's Day on the same day as the USA and some celebrate it in December (Spain) or another day in May....at any rate...Mothers are honored. I will always remember my mother as making sure I went to Church meetings and Seminary and knowing she always had a testimony of the Gospel. I attribute her teachings and example to my even being here on a mission with my husband. She always wanted to go thru the temple...which she has some 14 years ago or so. Because of her desire, I received my endowments even if she couldn't at the time. Elder and I have raised our family in the Gospel for which I am so grateful to have been able to do so. I am so grateful that my family has embraced the Gospel in their lives and are now nurturing their families in the Gospel. My sons and son in law all returned missionaries. What joy!!! And my mother helped me see how important that is and I "Did not doubt her". And my testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and real and I learned it for myself.

A few weeks back I attended a temple session with a few of our guards who transferred to Cebu to work there. I entertained them with a meal afterwards with our Supervisor Jess giving them counsel upon their new Officer in Charge jobs. Telling them of integrity and privilege to serve as well as being employed. I thought it was wonderful and told Jess so. The guys (brethren if you will) loved what I had provided for dinner. Many said they hadn't had the cold cuts (delicatessen) style for some years. Jess said to me and I quote, "You are like a mother to us Sister Burningham" I told him I was just being a hostess but he protested that I am their mother. I was not expecting that nor did I try to do that at all, but found that I have grown very fond of our guards very quickly. It is more than a corporate managing type work that we are doing here. Its caring and teaching the guards (brethren, men). As missionaries we are blessed with a very special spirit of love and teaching. But to be honest, I felt a little uncomfortable doing that as I am a guest in their country....I don't want to intrude. I feel like the LDS Filipinos are so knowledgeable in the Gospel and as much dedicated in their callings and serving as anyone I have known throughout my life as an American in the United States. So what am I doing here? Yet the Filipino saints and nonmembers alike look to us and as one sister in the Sapong Palay branch told me....."Teach us Sister."

While in Cebu I asked one of our Officer In Charge Guards how he felt about American Senior Missionaries in their country. His name is Edwyn and is about the age of one of my oldest sons. Edwyn told me that because of their history from WWII where the Japanese had taken over much of their country and were so brutal and cruel to the Filipino people and that the American soldiers had rescued them, taught them about democracy and then giving them their Independence after having been a commonwealth of the US.....that they love the Americans. They love the American Senior Missionaries. The people know that they still have issues with government and have a long way to go, but they love what the missionaries have done here. I felt humbled by his comments. And yes....now I do feel like a mother to our guards. I love them as my sons.

Talk about the "Field is White and already to harvest" . The President of the outsource Security Agency, Centurion is Michele, a second generation owner of the company. She is so impressed with the technology for the Temple structure and the security put in place for its protection against intruders. She told me how grateful she was that the LDS Church has done that and it is helping the Philippines in their desire to come up to speed. Michele said and I quote..."We know we are behind in many things and are so anxious to advance in technology." I took her around the inside of the temple and described some of the paintings to her. I could see she understood all that I was saying. I explained the Temple Baptismal Font and that it is used for baptism by immersion as Christ was baptized and that we baptize those who have passed on by proxy (for and in behalf of) and have not had the opportunity to be baptized. She reiterated those exact words back to me and told me how wonderful that is to have baptism for those who have "not had the opportunity to hear the gospel and be baptized" Those were her words not mine. I know it will be just a matter of time and she will embrace the Gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and be baptized. When she said goodbye, she told Elder Burningham that she felt so privileged to have such a wonderful personal guide to the temple. I could feel that she felt the spirit testifying to her of the truth. I felt a special spirit also...a wonderful new exciting experience none other than I have felt before.

I hope to get pictures today and post them. Hope all moms out there have a great Mother's Day. It is a divine calling.
Sister B

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mom~ Thanks for sharing your experiences! This is the first opportunity I've had to sit down and read your blog in a little while. I miss you and I'm happy that you are having all these terrific experiences. Love you~

    ReplyDelete